I’ve found so far in my new gluten-free baking adventures that there are some things much more easily adapted to gluten-free than others. Breads and cakes especially are vastly different when the gluten is taken away, but things like basic cookies (recipe coming soon!) and these brownies are still totally delicious sans-gluten. This recipe is made with almond flour, and produces a wonderfully rich and fudgy brownie. I brought them home to my skeptical family, and even they enjoyed them as well.
A lot of gluten-free recipes require a combination of flours and starches and stabilizers to achieve a desirable consistency, but in this recipe, less is more. It only requires almond flour in place of all-purpose flour, and contains all of the other ‘normal’ ingredients you’d find in a chocolate brownie – sugar, butter, eggs and CHOCOLATE.
The original recipe called for the brownies to be covered in chocolate, which I fully intended to do… but once I started eating them, the thought completely escaped my mind. They were plenty good on their own! The brownies are dense and chewy, and the peanut butter swirl is a welcome addition. I used chunky peanut butter, just for some added crunch, and if you like it I’d recommend that over creamy. My only complaint was that the almond flour I used (Trader Joe’s brand) was not finely enough ground, so if I made these again I’d make sure to process it further. I’ve learned that there are some almond flour brands that are more processed, and therefore have a finer texture, so I’ll keep my eyes out for those in the future.
Another great discovery this week – iHerb.com! I have had trouble finding some of the more expensive gluten-free baking ingredients in stores (like xanthan gum), so I placed an order on iHerb last week, and it shipped the next day. If you’re ever in the market for gluten-free products, or any other natural food products, I’d check it out! Shipping is free over $20, and they have a wide variety of products at really great prices.
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Brownie Bites
adapted from Make It Naked
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3oz unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup almond meal/flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup peanut butter
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 10×7 in baking pan with parchment paper.
1) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate. Stir frequently. Remove from heat when completely melted. Add the sugars and stir to combine.
2) Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition. The batter will start to thicken.
3) Stir in the almond flour and vanilla until incorporated. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
4) Drizzle the peanut butter over the top of the brownie. Using a knife, swirl the peanut butter through the batter from edge to edge, until you’ve made sufficient peanut butter swirls. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a knife inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
5) Let the brownies completely cool. Slice and serve!